Saddle up and let's ride down the trail of tales or tails.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

REMINDER – A HORSE IS A HORSE


When I brought Lil to the pen gate to go out, her head went up, eyes went wide, body went tense and she produced ‘roller snorts’. When I looked around, the only thing I could see that changed was a puddle in Teefa’s pen and that was definitely what caught her eye.

Of course, to go out the gate meant we had to go closer to it. I made sure I did my job correctly going through the gate so as not to become ‘road kill’ when she spooked at it – and spook she did. We worked about 90 seconds on the scary thing then she decided it wouldn’t bite. She was fine from that point on.

This incident brought back memories of a similar situation in which I didn’t listen to the horse and do what I should have for them (not any I have today). The end result on that was the horse knocked me down and out.

This is just a reminder that all of us dealing with horse need to remember ‘Given the right circumstances, any horse will act like a horse’. We are the ones that have to insure our own safety.

I took the picture just as soon as I tied Lil up so we can ‘see through her eyes’ how it looked. We had lots of shadows (always do this time of day) and reflections from the water (new to this location).  

No comments: